Peter Sommer Travels Blog
Welcome to our blog!
Since 2011, this is where we provide extra insight and information about our expert-led cultural tours and cruises. Our posts complement what is available on our main website and in our brochure. They offer examples of the fascinating stories and ideas, the lovely flavours and sights, the extraordinary experiences that we share with our guests in six countries.
Texts about archaeology and history, brought to you by our tour experts, tour diaries, news from excavations and museums, recipes, reading suggestions, updates on our new itineraries and much more - it's all here for you to discover and enjoy.
- Troy: Myth and Reality at the British MuseumArchaeology/History, Exhibitions, News, Tours, Turkey travel, UK travel
Putting on an exhibition about Troy and the Trojan War carries a particular weight of expectation. It’s at the centre of everything for so many of us: archaeologists, ancient historians, ... Read More
- Dubrovnik's City Walls - protecting the Republic of RagusaArchaeology/History, Croatia travel
Dubrovnik, the 'Pearl of the Adriatic', is justly seen by most as an absolutely unmissable site for those travelling along the coast of Croatia and looking for the region's history ... Read More
- Travel brochure 2020 - part 8: gulet charters, tailor-made tours and add-ons2020 brochure, Archaeology/History, Croatia travel, Greece Travel, Ireland travel, Italy travel, Turkey travel, UK travel
This is the final, seventh, part of our series about the 2020 Peter Sommer Travels brochure. The printed version of the brochure was posted to our our guests and friends ... Read More
- 10 years at Peter Sommer Travels - Julie Sibley and Michael MetcalfePeter Sommer Travels News
A few weeks ago, four people had a nice dinner in the heart of the town of Monmouth, just inside the Welsh border, where Peter Sommer Travels is based. The ... Read More
- Christmas Gifts for History Lovers, Travellers and Gourmets, 2019Archaeology/History, Books, Christmas gift lists, Food, New books, Peter Sommer Travels News
Have you noticed that Christmas is approaching? I can tell even by just going online: the ads that are being pushed my way are now supposed to be festive, and ... Read More
- Travel brochure 2020 - part 1: looking back and looking ahead2020 brochure, Croatia travel, Greece Travel, Ireland travel, Turkey travel, UK travel
Every year, our post about the new travel brochure grows longer and longer, as our activities expand. This year, rather than presenting it as a single instalment, we are separating ... Read More
- Another thing: a Box for a Hero - the Urn of Brasidas at AmphipolisAnother thing, Archaeology/History, Greece Travel
“Another thing” is a series of occasional posts, each presenting a particularly interesting, beautiful or unusual object on display at one of the museums or sites on our tours. We're ... Read More